CRAIGS INVESTMENT PARTNERS - ONE OF NZ'S LARGEST INVESTMENT ADVISORY FIRMS

 

Tauranga head-quartered Craigs Investment Partners, is celebrating its 35th anniversary. Since the firm was founded by Neil Craig in Whakatane in 1984, it has grown into one of New Zealand’s largest investment advisory and investment banking firms, providing services to individuals, trusts and companies as well as advising on some of New Zealand’s largest corporate transactions.

Craigs has a nationwide network of branches from Kerikeri to Invercargill, and in early 2019 opened their 18th branch - Havelock North in the Hawkes Bay. Craigs currently has around 480 employees including more than 140 investment advisers around New Zealand.

Craigs is 51 percent owned by approximately 200 employees. Employees having “skin in the game” encourages a genuine commitment to client service, superior advice and a loyal culture. The remaining 49 percent is owned by strategic partner, Deutsche Bank.

In 2015, Craigs entered the Australian market via the 50 percent ownership of Wilsons, a business offering similar investment services across Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

neil-frank

Firmly based in the Bay

Chairman Neil Craig and Managing Director Frank Aldridge are committed to the firm’s head office remaining in Tauranga, where around 190 employees are based, including 18 investment advisers. Craigs is currently looking at options to move to larger premises in the Tauranga CBD. “Thirty-five years in business is a major milestone,” says Neil Craig.

“The business has grown significantly in size, as has our product offering. Being of the size we are now really does count. As well as the financial backing to exceed all regulatory requirements, it means we can afford the systems and research personnel and resources that are at the core of our business.”

Frank Aldridge adds: “Putting our clients first is at the centre of what we do. Our service is all about long-term partnerships. We have multi-generational client relationships and we value and nurture those ties.”

Malcolm Carr, a Craigs Investment Partners client, notes that his family’s association began approximately 35 years ago when his father Ian first met Neil Craig in Whakatane.

“Ian had a real passion for the share market and had for a long time dealt with a bigger Auckland firm. It was Neil’s down to earth approach that convinced my father he’d be best dealing with Craigs. Our family continues to appreciate that close relationship with both Neil and Craigs. We are now into the third generation of a close association.”

Innovative investment options

Craigs offers a suite of services from managed portfolios and broking services, to KiwiSaver, UK pension transfers and other savings solutions.

The firm’s savings solution platform (mySTART) was introduced to offer clients a way to invest smaller sums, with the option for payments on a regular basis.

“mySTART makes investing a lot more accessible, whether you are starting out, building up a portfolio or investing for your children or grandchildren.

“You can drip feed or invest lump sums when it suits you,” says Neil Craig.

Craigs also offers access to private equity investment alternatives, both local and international. Craigs Private Wealth division is the major part of the business, with $16 Billion* in client funds under management.

The firm has one of New Zealand’s largest private wealth research teams, covering all major sectors, including New Zealand and global companies as well as fixed income issuers.

The Investment Banking division, Deutsche Craigs, based in Auckland, is highly rated, recently winning the Euromoney - Best Investment Bank New Zealand Award for the fourth year, as well as FinanceAsia’s Best New Zealand Investment Bank Award.

Also based in Auckland is the Institutional Equities division, which deals with institutions in New Zealand and offshore, and a fund management division (QuayStreet Asset Management), with 10 actively managed funds.

Frank Aldridge says the firm’s focus since its inception has been to help New Zealanders build their wealth.

“We believe that investing is for everyone, no matter their starting point,” he says.

“We continuously look at ways of reaching more New Zealanders, hence our opening in Hawkes Bay. We are working hard to offer services for clients with different goals and needs in a way that suits them – whether it is personalised long-term relationships or digital, adaptable solutions.”

*As at January 2019

Photo: Dean Preston